The diamond supply chain is made up of lots of links – download them and see if you can sort them into the right order.
|Every year the diamond supply chain produces nearly 30 million carats (6,000 kg) of gem diamonds and another 100 million carats (20,000 kg) of diamonds for industrial use.
Watch the value of gem diamonds grow more than six times in their journey from mines to retail outlets.
© Paul Lowe/Panos Pictures
Movers and Shakers
Imagine you are one of the movers and shakers in the diamond chain. In groups of five:
- Each choose a different location on the map.
- Click on the image to find out who you are.
- Read your profile to find out what you do.
- Ask each other questions to learn about each other’s lives in the diamond chain.
- Together, make a spider diagram to summarise your five lives and how you are connected.
Blinded by ‘Bling’?
Ms Dynamite and Kanye West have questioned the ‘bling’ thing with diamonds and tell the story of another side of the diamond chain built on greed and violence:
||"Who gives a damn about the ice on your hand -
If it’s not too complex tell me how many Africans died for the buggettes on your Rolex ..."
Ms Dynamite: "It takes more"
Go to the next page
to hear from Kanye West, and learn about ‘conflict’ or ‘blood’ diamonds.